Thursday, July 26, 2012

Cooking Snacks & Deserts

Even though our kitchen is small and there is not enough counter space like back home, we still manage to cook full meals and occasionally bake. We also make popcorn in our countertop popcorn machine, and of course, make beef jerky.  Over the past weekend, we made a few of our favorite snacks.

I bought this popcorn machine at a yard sale for $5 back in March.  The guy wanted $10 for, but I said no.  He then said "how about $5", so I ended up with a popcorn machine!  We like to eat popcorn while we watch TV, but I wasn't satisfied with the flavor.  I wanted the salty stuff like you get at the movies or a carnival.  So I went to online to find out what they use for oil and flavorings to make it taste like they do.  PopcornSupply.com had everything I needed, so I bought some oil & the magic ingredient "Flavacol."  I don't know what's in it but it tastes great, nice & salty.  Elly says the machine takes up too much room on the counter, but its still there!

My $5 Popcorn Machine
 When we go to Debbie's for dinner, we bring desert.  Last time, Elly made one of her favorite recipes that she got from a friend years ago called "Swedish Tosca Cake".  Its an yellow almond cake with sliced almonds on top. This time we did it in a spring-pan and it came out great! Everyone always loves this cake as it is not too sweet.

Swedish Tosca Cake

 Last year, I bought this artisan bread & pastry book . The Cinnamon Tea Ring recipe is one of Elly and my favorites.  I have made this about 5 times so far since I bought the book.  It it made with a basic sweet dough that can be used for this recipe or pecan sticky buns.  Both have a real nice cinnamon filling.  It tastes just like you bought it at a bakery. It is great to have in the morning with your coffee. Yum!


Cinnamon Tea Ring
And of course, it seems like I am making beef jerky about twice a week now.  Since the FoodSaver & the Dehydrator reduces to actual time to make jerky to about 8 hours, I can start the process late morning and have great tasting jerky by early evening!  I am always using London Broil because it has hardly any fat and it seems that it is always on sale at the local grocery store. Its a real snap to always have jerky on hand as a snack.

Batch of Jerky being cooked in the dehydrator
All this food is making me hungry and it's time eat eat dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment